Grsecurity breaks systemd-logind

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Re: Grsecurity breaks systemd-logind

Postby andyj » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:41 pm

What was your missing kernel build dependency? bc? I seem to forget that one every once in a while on a new system build.
andyj

Postby osteichthyes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I believe it was bc.

I'm almost glad that wasn't the only issue, I'm a bit embarrassed. The remaining compatibility issue yields some amount of plausible excuse (I hope)...

I'm still lost about where the issue lies, but I've got some new testing ideas.
osteichthyes

Postby osteichthyes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Okay, new results. The 05 March and 12 March patches booted and worked great!

Today, with the 15 March patches and IDENTICAL config flags, I'm back at the error I mentioned above.
Here's a picture:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7y3E9 ... cxQjg/view

I did not update the userland before booting into the new kernel. I did the day before, but again, the 12 March patchset booted after that update. I tried updating after the new kernel was installed (back in the vanilla kernel) but that didn't help. I tried three builds yesterday, none worked, even one with a known-good config.

I'm back to scratching my head.
I hit a bug with chrome recently because my /tmp is mounted noexec. Would nosuid,nodev,noexec on either /tmp or /var impact the grsec kernel differently than the vanilla kernel?

Thanks!
osteichthyes

Postby spender » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm

It seems to me that regardless of whatever the problem is, systemd's handling of it is quite poor. I'd suggest looking at that code instead for a reason.

-Brad
spender

Postby osteichthyes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Makes sense, thanks.

The error doesn't give much to go on, I'm assuming systemd mounts a tmpfs, and something is failing getting stuck in that function/loop.
Whatever does that seems a reasonable place to start, I'll get on it, thanks.
osteichthyes

Previous

Return to grsecurity support