Firefox on ARM does not work (PaX not enabled)

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Firefox on ARM does not work (PaX not enabled)

Postby Wizzup » Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 am

Hi,

I am on Gentoo Hardened, ARMv7. For the last 6 (or so) major Firefox releases - I think since 38, I have been unable to get Firefox to work on grsecurity on ARM, (even) with PaX entirely disabled. Noteworthy is that I am also unable to get Chromium to work. Firefox (and chromium) are compiled on the device itself, as are the kernels, and I don't run into problems on vanilla linux. So while I cannot fully rule out a bad compiler, it seems unlikely.

On linux-4.5.2-hardened-r1 (again, Hardened Gentoo), Firefox segfaults early on. The problem doesn't show on vanilla 4.5.0.

I have two logs, generated by the following command: strace -f -o firefox-log.txt -- firefox --help

This is the log with Linux 4.5.2 + grsec: https://wizzup.org/firefox-grsec.txt
This is the log with Linux 4.5, vanilla: https://wizzup.org/firefox-vanilla.txt

If you strip off the pid that strace prints, the logs are easily compared with a tool like vimdiff.

Kernel config for Linux 4.5.2 + grsec: https://wizzup.org/grsec-4.5.2-config.txt

I had a brief discussion with pipacs on IRC, where he asked me to debug a few things. I hope I'm allowed to paste the (small) log here.

23:45 <Wizzup> This is most interesting. Even with PAX completely disabled, firefox segfaults on start.
23:45 <pipacs> and works on vanilla?
23:45 <Wizzup> Yes
23:45 <pipacs> interesting
23:45 <Wizzup> It seems chromium has the same problems
23:45 <pipacs> could it be a userland issue, like those syscall stub emulations that we disable?
23:45 <Wizzup> (I know it's not useful debug info): http://sprunge.us/HLNQ
23:46 <pipacs> any kernel logs on it?
23:46 <Wizzup> No kernel logs (could be because pax is disabled)
23:46 <Wizzup> I can turn on ASLR and some other PaX options and boot again, PaX at least gives some error messages.
23:47 <pipacs> try to get a coredump or attach with gdb and see where the sigill is from
23:47 <Wizzup> OK
23:48 <Wizzup> It may require recompiling firefox with debug info.
23:48 <Wizzup> http://sprunge.us/UhbV
23:49 <pipacs> aha can you look at /proc/pid/maps
23:49 <pipacs> and see what's mapped there
23:49 <Wizzup> fair point.
23:49 <pipacs> does x/8i $pc show anything?
23:49 <Wizzup> Seems to be: b3f3a000-b668b000 r-xp 00000000 fe:00 832394 /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so
23:50 <Wizzup> (gdb) x/8i $pc
23:50 <Wizzup> => 0x30800000:ICannot access memory at address 0x30800000
23:51 <Wizzup> there doesn't seem to be anything mapped at that address, it seems
23:51 <Wizzup> Right, to my paste wrt libxul was stack 1, stack 0 doesn't seem to be mapped at all
23:57 <Wizzup> If I can help debugging this issue, please let me know what I can do
Day changed to 04 May 2016
00:10 <pipacs> well, try to strace it
00:10 <pipacs> and compare the mmap/munmap/mprotect calls in the trace with the faulting address
00:10 <pipacs> (turn off aslr for this)
00:11 <pipacs> maybe you'll see what happened before the failing access to that map
00:11 <Wizzup> I tried a quick strace and saw the last system call before the sigsegv was a futex, but I don't think that was the cause.
00:11 <Wizzup> I'll note to compare the traces. It's getting late here.
00:12 <pipacs> nah, it's something that happens to that mmap
00:12 <pipacs> maybe it's a race or some use-after-free
00:12 <pipacs> but i don't immediately see how any of our features would cause this
00:12 <Wizzup> That is why I also specifically turned off CONFIG_PAX, to further pin down the problem
00:13 <Wizzup> I'll try to get some useful info tomorrow - I rebooted back into vanilla to get a browser

As suggested I made a trace of the system calls that happen on vanilla and on the hardened kernel, but I cannot figure out what the problem might be. Any ideas?

I'm happy to do provide additional information or debug the problem further given some instructions.
Wizzup

Re: Firefox on ARM does not work (PaX not enabled)

Postby Wizzup » Sat May 28, 2016 6:22 pm

After a few hours of debugging and executing commands that pipacs messaged me, we found there was a problem in how ARM thumb mode was handled in arch/arm/mm/fault.c do_PrefetchAbort. After fixing that in the kernel (presumable this will be in the next patch), Firefox still segfaulted, but on a different address. Enabling CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_OLD_ARM_USERLAND=y and CONFIG_KUSER_HELPERS=y 'solved' that problem, at the expense of security. The real fix will be figure out why glibc is relying on these old(er) fallbacks.

Now chromium, go and firefox all work.

Next step will be to enable (a lot of) PaX features and see how that fares.
Wizzup

Re: Firefox on ARM does not work (PaX not enabled)

Postby Wizzup » Sat May 28, 2016 7:03 pm

I have enabled most PaX features and Firefox still works. Yay!

Code: Select all
CONFIG_PAX_USERCOPY_SLABS=y
CONFIG_PAX=y
CONFIG_PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS=y
CONFIG_PAX_HAVE_ACL_FLAGS=y
CONFIG_PAX_NOEXEC=y
CONFIG_PAX_PAGEEXEC=y
CONFIG_PAX_MPROTECT=y
CONFIG_PAX_KERNEXEC=y
CONFIG_PAX_ASLR=y
CONFIG_PAX_RANDUSTACK=y
CONFIG_PAX_RANDMMAP=y