Network Unavailable

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Network Unavailable

Postby lloydsmart » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello.

I've been trying to setup a grsecurity enabled kernel on my server for a few days now, with only limited success.

My server is running Debian Wheezy, and has a Supermicro X10SAE motherboard. The onboard NICs on this motherboard are Intel I210-AT and Intel I217-LM.

For some reason, whenever I install a grsec-enabled kernel from the mempo project, all networking is disabled and the computer can't see either of the NICs. I also have a WiFi card in there, which is also being hidden. All these devices work fine with the stock 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel that comes with Debian.

The kernels I've tried are linux-image-3.2.66-grsec-mempo.servmax.0.2.103 and linux-image-3.2.66-grsec-mempo.serv.0.2.103. Same results with both.

I've already run the "i.sh" script made by the mempo project.

Any tips on how to re-enable networking? I believe the appropriate modules are included with those mempo kernels, but for some reason they aren't showing up in lsmod. The modules required are igb and either e1000 or e1000e - I can't remember which right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
lloydsmart

Re: Network Unavailable

Postby tjh » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:40 pm

You simply aren't compiling the kernel with those modules enabled.

Have you checked that they're enabled in your .config before you build your kernel?

This isn't a grsec issue, it's a kernel-build issue.
tjh

Postby lloydsmart » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, tjh.

I'm using a pre-compiled kernel from the Mempo project (http://deb.mempo.org/), and apparently the appropriate modules for my NIC are being compiled and installed. They're just not auto-loading. I can modprobe them in, but networking still doesn't work for some reason.

During boot, I see the following messages. Could they be significant?

Code: Select all
ipconfig: eth1: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
ipconfig: no devices to configure

Thanks.
lloydsmart

Postby tjh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:06 pm

That message is saying "I'm trying to configure the eth0 interface, but it's not there"

If you modprobe in the modules, then restart networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart)

Does it work then?

If so, you need to ensure that your modules _are_ loaded at boot time, before the networking script runs.

HOw to do that I"m not 100% sure.
tjh

Return to grsecurity support