Problem with libtermcap

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Problem with libtermcap

Postby rustelekom » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:17 pm

Hi,
On machine w/OS Redhat ES3 2.4.27-grsec SMP with disabled RBAC (grsec compiled w/High mode) today we begin got error like this:

/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

I check what may happen and saw that we have two library file libtermcap.so.2 and lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8

Looks as up2date update this library and now grsec disallow running libtermcap.so.2.

How i can correct this? All cron wotk not work correct now...
Thanks

PS. As result i can't run command like /bin/ls and etc...
rustelekom

Re: Problem with libtermcap

Postby PaX Team » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:32 am

rustelekom wrote:/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

I check what may happen and saw that we have two library file libtermcap.so.2 and lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8

Looks as up2date update this library and now grsec disallow running libtermcap.so.2.

How i can correct this? All cron wotk not work correct now...
search the forums for "cannot enable executable stack" and read the 4 or so threads. redhat must have done something to libtermcap as under gentoo the same version doesn't need an executable stack, tell them about it.
PaX Team

Postby rustelekom » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:14 pm

i read, but redhat big and slow. i am not think that they we do it anything for 3rd party software:)
recompiling binaries which come from redhat also is not very simple.
maybe anyone can recommend easy way for solving problem? i understand that this is may be a not best solution for saving level of security high, but maybe here we can find any compromise between high security and easy managing on redhat systems?

BTW. Just interesting. Which Linux distibetion is best for using with GrSecurity and Pax? Gentoo, Fedora, Centos any other?
rustelekom

Postby PaX Team » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:26 pm

rustelekom wrote:maybe anyone can recommend easy way for solving problem?
i think it was mentioned in one of the threads: execstack -c.
BTW. Just interesting. Which Linux distibetion is best for using with GrSecurity and Pax? Gentoo, Fedora, Centos any other?
probably hardened gentoo, at least that's what i know and help every now and then.
PaX Team

Return to grsecurity support