Don't work since update...

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Don't work since update...

Postby watom » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:00 am

Hi,

I'm using Gentoo, Linux 2.6.5 (+lastest grsec patch) , Xfree 4.3 and nVidia driver.

I searched the forum and found a lot of topics. But none describing my problem.
So here is the situation :

I patched myself the kernel with grsec (everything went fine).
(I configured,installed the kernel of course...)
I re-emerge xfree with static option and reboot with the new kernel.

Everything worked at once ! (I feeled luky this day, realy :wink: )

One day (about 2 weeks ago), gentoo installed a xfree update.
So I had to recompile it with static option (because that's disabled by default).

I reboot my computer, and... x doesn't work anymore :-(

After reading all the post I found about it, I understand that it's because xfree can't load external module when you compile it with static option.

So, I emerged a previous version, try to reinstall nvidia drivers (from nvidia web site and with emerge). I had also try x11-org with no success.

I don't understand how I've made it to work in the first place !
If someone can give me a hint...

In a previous topic, someone say that :
"So i'll have to (eventually) recompile xorg-X11 (static) with nvidia-glx included in order to have it included and working?"

How can I include nvidia-glx in xfree ?
Is that why it worked when I first installed grsec ?
watom

Re: Don't work since update...

Postby PaX Team » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:44 am

watom wrote:After reading all the post I found about it, I understand that it's because xfree can't load external module when you compile it with static option.
actually, i'm not sure about this, you already had a static server with your supposedly external module working... or at least you make it sound as if you had had an external driver initially as well.
So, I emerged a previous version, try to reinstall nvidia drivers (from nvidia web site and with emerge). I had also try x11-org with no success.

I don't understand how I've made it to work in the first place !
If someone can give me a hint...
you could check that your X config file references the driver/modules you think it does and then check the X log file to see what the exact error is. maybe some installation path changed, etc.
In a previous topic, someone say that :
"So i'll have to (eventually) recompile xorg-X11 (static) with nvidia-glx included in order to have it included and working?"

How can I include nvidia-glx in xfree ?
Is that why it worked when I first installed grsec ?
i don't think that you had a 3rd party driver linked into the X server previously ;-), so there must be a way to get it to work again.
PaX Team

Re: Don't work since update...

Postby watom » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:55 pm

PaX Team wrote:you could check that your X config file references the driver/modules you think it does and then check the X log file to see what the exact error is. maybe some installation path changed, etc.

ok, I should try that.
watom

Return to grsecurity support