/boot & password problem

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

/boot & password problem

Postby visiondream3 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:53 am

Hi,
I just compiled grsecurity patch along with kernel 2.4.25. After successfull reboot, I tried to enable ACL couple of times using gradm -E and then disable it using gradm -D

Everything was fine for a day or two. Today I noticed that ( from the same shell I was logged in ), /boot/ directory listed only a file : kernel.h
( all the image and system files were not listed! )
I thought it could be a problem with the gradm ACL and tried to disable it. Since it didnt work, I tried to enable and disable it again. But this time,
gradm -D gave the following error in the logs :

shutdown auth failure for (gradm:3748) UID(0) EUID(0), parent (bash:4899) UID(0) EUID(0)
and said : 'invalid password'

I am sure that I am using the same password I tried with. But all of this is serious now.

I am scared to reboot because /boot didnt have any image files etc and obviously grub configuration file is missing, and also I cant disable gradm to try and compile and install the kernel images once again.

Any help from your end will be very much appreicated. Does grsecurity had anything to do with the disappearing of kernel images from the /boot directory ???

Please help.
visiondream3

Return to grsecurity support