grsecurity without gradm ?

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

grsecurity without gradm ?

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:04 pm

Hi,

i just want to patch my kernel with grsecurity, set it
in menuconfig to "high" and compile.
is that installation secure enough ?
thx ...
Mase

Postby fwiffo » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:30 pm

Well, since no one answered your question, I'll do....
NO, it won't be enough, you'll need more things to make your system more secure. GRADM is needed in the latter case, since it provides a way to 'activate' the MAC acl sys, and thus provide one more way for better security.
What you (and other) should remember is that nothing is secure 100%, no one in fact answered your question because (I guess) there can't be such an answer as "yes" or "no", it all depends on what you plan to do with your machine, what services it will provide, if any, what kind of use it will have, etc.... No simple answer, because security isn't simple task (even with thousand of friendly tools, to my eyes, this kind of security doesn't stick to a lot of people, that's what I've seen around at least, I might be wrong).
What I've learned so far is that if there is a wall, there will be a way to circumvent it, but as someone said (can't remember who, sorry), if the attacker must loose time to study a system, He will have less time to attack it.
fwiffo

Return to grsecurity support