Problems with BNC

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Problems with BNC

Postby xAvia » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:30 am

I decided to upgrade my RedHat9 machine with grsecurity. Recompile went great, and got the new kernel and grsecurity up and running no problems. I started my own BNC on my personal user account, no problems. So I told the other users on the server to go ahead and restart thier stuff. Well now here is the problem, no other BNC will work. Every other user account that tries to use a BNC will not work correctly. The BNC starts, no errors, you can connect TO the BNC, no errors, but then when trying to connect to a IRC Network it just hangs and sooner or later says connection to server lost. I have tried three different BNC programs (psybnc, bnc, ezbounce) and all give the same problem. I have tried to get some kind of errors generated and nothing. Kindof a long winded explaination I guess but here are the quick details:

My Account (which works): part of the wheel group, so I can get root of course.

Other Accounts (which don't work): part of a new group (proc) which is the UID and GID set on the /proc mount.

GRSecurity is set in: Low

Does anyone see something I am doing wrong or a possible had a problem like this before and know a simple solution.

[root@daedal root]$ mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
none on /proc type proc (rw,uid=75,gid=75)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,loop=/dev/loop0)
/dev/hda3 on /var type ext3 (rw)
xAvia

Postby xAvia » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:33 pm

I tried some other things to figure out the problem and no luck so far. I tried first adding the user account to the wheel group like the account that is working, and no luck still. I tried to run the BNC from the users dir as root, and suprisingly that didn't work either. Right now I am not sure if this is grsecurity, or maybe something with the new kernel I needed to use. I will say that before I install grsecurity (and upgraded kernel) all was working fine.
xAvia

Postby niz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:36 pm

Try if it works when grsecurity is disabled..
niz

Re: Problems with BNC

Postby PaX Team » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:00 pm

xAvia wrote:My Account (which works): part of the wheel group, so I can get root of course.

Other Accounts (which don't work): part of a new group (proc) which is the UID and GID set on the /proc mount.

GRSecurity is set in: Low
could you strace one of these non-working BNC processes and see what syscalls are failing/not working as in your own case?
PaX Team

Re: Problems with BNC

Postby xAvia » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:08 pm

PaX Team wrote:could you strace one of these non-working BNC processes and see what syscalls are failing/not working as in your own case?

I tested on EZBounce and I only got one error the whole time:

Code: Select all
write(4, "Connection from: 24.54.79.72 on "..., 58) = 58
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN|POLLOUT, revents=POLLOUT}], 2, 8000) = 1
time(NULL)                              = 1070582872
recv(5, 0xbffffa57, 1, MSG_PEEK)        = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
write(5, "", 0)                         = 0

That happened when I connected to the BNC itself. It is the only error that comes up. Course when trying to get it to connect a an IRC server it simply times out.
xAvia

Return to grsecurity support