gentoo + grsec

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

gentoo + grsec

Postby graphix » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:54 pm

i feel stupid for asking this but oh well,now getting a different kernel for gentoo linux and install grsec on not going to effect my emerge shit is it?
graphix

Postby spender » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:16 pm

It won't. gentoo doesn't depend on its additional performance/whatever patches. You can use whatever kernel you want.

-Brad
spender

Postby graphix » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:19 pm

ok, i thought something like that just wasn't sure, thanx spender
graphix

Postby solar » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:52 am

When you choose to install an updated grsec kernel over your default gentoo kernel you might run into a few problems. I noticed "/usr/include/linux" this should be a symlinked to /usr/src/linux/include but is not. I had to change that in order to keep my system running smooth. As far as it breaking emerge it wont but you have to be carefull when your doing emerge world's, as that might try to install gentoo-sources, gentoo-kernel which could kill your symlinks. In addition you could email aliz@gentoo.org and request that there team sync up versions to whats currently "stable" in grsec.
I think the gentoo grsec patch that comes with gentoo-sources-2.4.20 is grsec 19.7
solar

Postby goodbyte » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:18 am

solar wrote:When you choose to install an updated grsec kernel over your default gentoo kernel you might run into a few problems. I noticed "/usr/include/linux" this should be a symlinked to /usr/src/linux/include but is not.

Accually, /usr/include/linux should be a copy of /usr/src/linux/include from the kernel version that was used when compiling glibc.
goodbyte

Return to grsecurity support