Installation/Compilation Problems

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Installation/Compilation Problems

Postby Sapient2003 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:41 am

I an trying to compile the CVS version of grsecurity. After configuring what I want the kernel to include, I do make dep, then make bzImage. During that, I get errors like "depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-grsec/kernel/net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6table_mangle.o". I then switched my gcc 3.* version down to gcc 2.*, thinking gcc 3.* had compatability issues. gcc 2.* did fix some of the compile errors, but I still get those "Unresolved symbol" errors. I am using the default installation of Mandrake 9.0 at the moment. I tried to compile the kernel sources that were included on the Mandrake 9.0 CD, that, too, gave me "Unresolved symbol" errors. After days of dinking around, I narrowed down and elimited the problem by removing some modules. When compiled, it is too large to boot using LILO. The bzImage file is 1.2mb. Any help on any of these issues would be appreciated.
Sapient2003

Postby spender » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:12 pm

if you're using sound support, make sure you compile that as a module, as it will greatly increase the size of the kernel. Did you try out my recommendation earlier of compiling the kernel, rebooting, then doing make modules modules_install?

-Brad
spender

Postby Sapient2003 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:15 pm

Yes, that did not resolve any of the issues. Are there any requirements (libs, etc) required for any of the features of grsecurity?
Sapient2003

Postby spender » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:18 pm

Can you mail your kernel config to spender@grsecurity.net? I'll try a compile here.

-Brad
spender

Return to grsecurity support