Adding Memory

Discuss usability issues, general maintenance, and general support issues for a grsecurity-enabled system.

Adding Memory

Postby Internecine » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:08 pm

Greetings,

I'm new to grsecurity and *nix in general. A friend of mine suggested I patch my kernel with grsecurity, which I did and has been fine so far.

I'm currently running Red Hat linux, 2.4.20 kernel with 1.9.8-2.4.20 grsecurity patch (medium security setting) and preemptive kernel patch.

I attempted to add 512MB of memory to the system tonight, and get errors on boot just after the "Init v.2.8.4 Booting" message:

grsecurity: signal 11 sent to (rc:23671) uid(0) euid(0). parent (intt 1)...
followed by a similar message to (rc:17219) and then a kernel panic.

Any idea what may be happening? Thanks in advance.
Internecine

Postby spender » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:50 pm

What was the reason given for the kernel panic? Attempt to kill init? Killing the interrupt handler? Were you having any problems until you installed the new RAM? Also note that the grsec errors are simply letting you know that the rc process received a SIGSEGV. It wasn't grsecurity that caused it, or sent it.

-Brad
spender

Postby Internecine » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm

Yes. attempt to kill Init and no, I had no problems until I installed a new memory module. I ultimately had to remove it in order to boot again.

I've got much to learn about *nix, and being a novice, I've been completely immersed in reading documentation, but still don't fully understand a lot of the underlying processes. It's just a matter of time (a lot of time).

FYI: This box serves as a gateway for my home network. I'm running iptables/netfilter for my firewall, have an apache server on it, snort with an ACID interface to the mysql dbase and DNS caching server. It's been very enjoyable learning these things and I'm hoplessly addicted to linux.
Internecine

Postby spender » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:40 pm

good to hear. out of curiosity, how did you hear about grsecurity?

-Brad
spender

Postby Internecine » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:32 am

A good friend of mine who is a SysAdmin for a medium sized service provider suggested that I add the grsecurity patch.

I would rather not burden anyone with too many novice questions. I still have much to read and learn, I do welcome any suggestions from those who are willing to offer their time though.

Thanks.
Internecine

Adding Memory

Postby fonya » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:22 am

Maybe You need to run a memory check program, for exampe this:
http://cesnet.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... 30-ns1.zip

Just write a floppy disk, and boot :)

Some docu:
http://badmem.sourceforge.net/
fonya

Re: Adding Memory

Postby PaX Team » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:37 am

Internecine wrote:I attempted to add 512MB of memory to the system tonight, and get errors on boot just after the "Init v.2.8.4 Booting" message[...]
if you've hit the 1 GB barrier you should probably reconfigure your kernel to handle that (in processor type/high memory support).
PaX Team

Return to grsecurity support